Castle

Reviews, Recommendations, Pans

Moderator: Moderators

bretonlass

Post by bretonlass »

Well, apparently someone was kind enough to upload the sequence in question.

Just go here.

And the dialoguebetween Castle and daughter! Priceless... Gotta love the show's writers.

Cheers,

Eloise :)
"First, you see the world in black and white. After a while, you begin to see the shades of gray. And if you but have the courage to try, you then get to see all the colours of the rainbow." My philosophy of life

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

Many thanks, Eloise! That was incredibly funny but also bittersweet, including the point about moving on.

I love the fact they show the glimpses of him putting the clothes on, like the traditional shot of heroes putting on greaves, etc. Then the swashbuckling swagger combined with the self-mocking banter. Oh, and the banjo chord from Firefly. *Sniff*

What can I say -- except "definitely snacho!"

P. S. Here's a longer take, almost 3 minutes, that hits all three high notes: Serenity, Buffy and Underworld. My cup runneth over!
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.

bretonlass

Post by bretonlass »

Just a quick post to tell you that next monday's Castle is the one to watch for sci-fi fans, as it is directed by none other than Commander William Riker. Yep.

And according to Nathan's twitter account a few weeks back:
Johnathan Frakes is directing. Yesterday, he called me Number One. My heart made a noise that sounded like awesome.

I trust this might be one of the best episodes yet...

Cheers,

"First, you see the world in black and white. After a while, you begin to see the shades of gray. And if you but have the courage to try, you then get to see all the colours of the rainbow." My philosophy of life

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

Frakes directed several ST episodes and films. His efforts were respectable, if not inspired. I'll definitely make time for this one, I'm curious to see how he handles it.

Number One, eh? Passing the baton... but Mal Reynolds was already Number One in his own universe!

bretonlass

Post by bretonlass »

I just checked the characters of the episode on the ever-faithful IMDB... and apparently there's a Wellesley family involved in the plot.

Now, perhaps I'm just reading too much into things, but if you pronounce that name a wee bit on the fast side, what do you get? Wesley, as in Crusher, from TNG. If it's a coincidence, then it's a very good one indeed.

Cheers,

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

Eloise, I've been finding myself watching Castle. It's still uneven, but I like it enough to keep returning. I enjoyed the double episode with Dana Delany -- it's good to have another woman detective (and a formidable one) in that sea of men!

bretonlass

Post by bretonlass »

And it's been picked up for another full season.

So, barring any monumental catastrophes, we will have 22 more episodes of Nathan Fillion goodness to watch. Such a hardship, isn't it...

Cheers,

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

Yes, I can hardly endure it! But we must grin and bear it. *laughs*

bretonlass

Post by bretonlass »

Windwalker wrote: I enjoyed the double episode with Dana Delany -- it's good to have another woman detective (and a formidable one) in that sea of men!
In the words of Dana Delany herself:

Regarding her character of Jordan Shaw, Dana said: "She’s there as an example to show Beckett that you actually can have it all. You can be a kick-ass agent, and you can be married and have a kid…. Beckett doesn’t have to shy away from romance."

Is there more we'll learn about this detective on part two of the episode that aired last night?

"Just that she has a husband who’s very supportive, and she relies on him."

Cheers,

bretonlass

Post by bretonlass »

Just a wee article that made me smile...

http://www.movieretriever.com/blog/666/ ... ovie-stars

You'll know why, and soon enough.

Cheers,

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

From the topic of this thread and the tone of your post, Eloise, I knew who would be #1 on that list. They're right: Fillion should have been a leading man if not a star years ago. He's great at both action and comedy -- and, judging from how he interacts with his daughter on Castle, he would be good at romance as well if they only let him try.

On a different topic, did you notice that only 2 of the 10 on that list are women?

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

Did you see last night's Castle episode, Eloise? I have three comments:

1. If this follows genre expectations, Castle's editor was roped in for a face-saving gesture and the whole kissy-face scene was rehearsed.

2. In reversals of the usual settings, Castle is the one with a family whereas Beckett is the loner, and her sympathetic chorus is not girlfriends but her male work colleagues.

3. Finally, I couldn't help thinking that on Koredhán Beckett would not have a dilemma (*laughs*). Both men are snacho -- Trucco was as good in Galactica as Fillion in Firefly/Serenity -- and the resulting trio would make a crack crime-fighting team!

bretonlass

Post by bretonlass »

Great minds think alike, apparently!

I think that the invitation to the ex-wife/editor was extended more for business than pleasure, but that Castle and her have kept a good enough rapport (he respects women too much for it to be otherwise). Still, I give it a couple of weeks (tops) before the nagging reminds him exactly why there's an ex- before the "wife" part. Also, in front of the great big unknown (a serious *gasp!* relationship with Beckett), Castle might just have gotten a wee case of cold feet and reached for the familiar instead.

The advantage of men is that they often tell it like it is (à la Ryan) instead of going around in circles over the matter. Still, let us not forget good old Lanie, who was one of the first to detect Kate's less than professional interest in Castle's contributions...

And yeah, my heart broke a little for Demming when he asked Kate, "Was it something I said?" Damn, but feelings are such a complex web of interlocking threads, and sometimes the ends don't always meet. I still have hope that the writers might bring him back in, if only in a friend capacity.

Cheers,

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

Having missed most of the first season, I didn't realize Castle's editor was his ex-wife. It's odd that we don't see her interacting with her daughter -- or is she not Alexis' mother?

I also thought that Castle's jealousy in previous episodes was annoying, like a kid who suddenly once again wants a toy he had discarded because his younger brother shows interest in it. They should have handled it in a less clichéd fashion.

Conversely, I simply loved the boxing/wrestling bout between Beckett and Demming. I was thrilled that they just wouldn't concede, no matter how many times they got flung to the floor.

bretonlass

Re: Castle

Post by bretonlass »

Just to say that this week's Castle was made of everything awesome. It was an episode about a reseacher at SETI found dead by decompression, and it was full of X-File-ish references.

But what truly made my night was that, in a Chinese warehouse, when Beckett failed to negociate with the workers, Castle suddenly rattled off a line in Chinese to the effect that his partner (i.e. Beckett) was a little crazy and might start shooting at any minute. The following dialogue was:

Beckett: Let me guess, a semester abroad?
Castle: No, just a show I used to watch.

And I had a fangirlish *squee* as I realized he had just channeled Mal Reynolds.

Gotta love Nathan.

Cheers,