Welcome, travelers

The Universe and Everything in It

Moderator: Moderators

sanscardinality

Post by sanscardinality »

Windwalker wrote:
caliban wrote:Using unfamiliar and obscure ideas, e.g., from science, completely defeats the purpose of metaphor and analogy.

(Why, then, does this practice persist? Easy: because science is perceived as being magically powerful. By using science analogies, people are hoping to invoke that power of science for their own uses.)
Which brings us to postmodern deconstructionism and Alan Sokal's immortal hoax! (*laughs*)
How about this one...

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/tec ... 3.700.html

I always suspected those CS professors were full of it!

SC
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Oscar Wilde

Windwalker
Site Admin

Aristotelians

Post by Windwalker »

sanscardinality wrote:That said, I do find metaphysical concepts (whether from a good song, or from someone's "holy" book) to be useful in understanding what it is to be human and for that matter an engineer and student of science. Not a guide for those things, but useful in understanding them - almost in a role-playing sort of way (how would an Aristotelian think about this? Egad - Never mind!)

SC
I recall that randomly-generated paper. The second-best hoax after Sokal's.

As for the above point in your post, an Aristotelian would probably like the idea of using "play" (broadly defined) as an aid to thinking. Such an approach is not only pragmatic but it also gives pride of place to drama, which Aristotle prized highly.
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.

sanscardinality

Re: Aristotelians

Post by sanscardinality »

Windwalker wrote: I recall that randomly-generated paper. The second-best hoax after Sokal's.

As for the above point in your post, an Aristotelian would probably like the idea of using "play" (broadly defined) as an aid to thinking. Such an approach is not only pragmatic but it also gives pride of place to drama, which Aristotle prized highly.
Well put. I've been over-exposed to medieval Roman Catholic Aristotelianism a la Thomas Aquinas. It's left a bad taste in my mouth, but probably is not the fair way to judge Aristotle - a bit like judging Rumi by paying attention to the Ayatollah Khomeini...

SC
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Oscar Wilde

Master Rev

Greetings!

Post by Master Rev »

After a long 'away' mission, I have finally made my way back to the ship. I must first apologize to my fellow crewmates for my abrupt disappearance. Apparently, writing a scientific manuscript and a Ph.D. dissertation at the same time puts a damper on one's social life. I'm glad to report though that I survived both and have also made a cross-country move to the East Coast. Seems that the residents of my new town find it utterly fascinating that I am from Texas, but lack the requisite cowboy hat and horse. I think though it will be hard for me to stop saying 'y'all' anytime in the near future.

Anyhow, just wanted to report in and give my greetings. Look forward to all our future discussions.

Master Rev

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

Dear Rene,

congratulations on the PhD (arduous though it was) and welcome both to the site and the East Coast! Not as bad as you thought, eh? (*laughs*)
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.

rocketscientist

Post by rocketscientist »

Hey REV!

You keep saying "Hi y'all" all you want. Everyone down here does it too!

Congrats again on the new title!

Master Rev

Thanks

Post by Master Rev »

Thanks so much for the warm welcomes. I am still getting used to the new title, as well as the new responsibilities, but I'm sure that in the end, I'll survive.

Y'all take care!

Rev

Marie

Welcome, Dr. Vasquez

Post by Marie »

Dear Rene,

My best congratulations and happiest welcome to the site!

Now the challange is to compete in the working world instead of the halls of learning. The East Coast isn't so bad. However, you will have to contend with colder temps, a hurricane or two and those white flakes they call snow.(not the stuff you get in Texas)

Browse the forums, gallery and blog and hope to see your signature on some of the topics.

Marie

Master Rev

Thanks!

Post by Master Rev »

Thanks for the welcome. I think it will be interesting once the first snow hits. I'll probably respond to it like a kid. After it drags on for several days, I'm sure the charm will quickly evaporate. Thankfully though I have had some experience dealing with colder climates, albeit not for a long period of time. Hopefully the heater in my apartment is a good one.

Rev

intrigued_scribe

Post by intrigued_scribe »

Congratulations on the PhD, and welcome to the site! Best of luck to you in new ventures, and I too hope you'll find that the East Coast isn't so bad. *smiles*

Heather

Master Rev

Thanks!

Post by Master Rev »

Heather,

Thanks for the welcome. Although I've been finished with grad school for 3 months now, it really hasn't sunk in yet that I'm really done. I think once I see my diploma with my own eyes, it will all sink in. So far I'm really enjoying the East Coast (except for the hour time change). Where we're living is very scenic and there's lots to do. Plus, I have left the humidity of Texas far, far behind. Thanks again and hope all is well in your life!

Rene