in the sky above the place where they live, and those who can see it are
sometimes baffled by its nature."

Full article here:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007 ... urrentPage
=1

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

An absolutely wonderful and thought-provoking essay! The New Yorker is (hurray!) slowly reverting to its pre-Tina Brown days. Lighting that allows us to see the stars; helps retain circadian rhythms, prevent cancer and keep enriching our myths; decreases vandalism and animal deaths; and is cheaper than conventional lighting. How do you improve on that?

Perhaps we should have one night when all of the US is asked to turn off all lights for one hour. I wonder how people would react -- it would almost be like Asimov's Nightfall. Perhaps it might re-awaken our thirst for the Great Mystery, whatever its name: Dhiktynna the Starnet, Wakan Tanka, Khan Tengri or The Backbone of the Night.
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.

intrigued_scribe

Post by intrigued_scribe »

Thanks for sharing such an excellent essay with us! This is indeed truly thought-provoking and offers a brief, but enlightening glimpse of what might be discovered--and gained--if one takes even a small, brief step back from modern technological trappings. And as Athena points out, what enriches the body here may also come to enrich the mind and spirit, eventually.

Heather

Walden2

Post by Walden2 »

Two recent articles on light pollution.

Here:

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/cities-dim ... 1609990001

and here (this one has some excellent images with it):

http://planetary.org/explore/topics/pla ... 71025.html

bretonlass

Post by bretonlass »

This reminds me of an experience I had while in Scotland this summer.

At Blair Castle, I was smack in the proverbial middle of nowhere, and you could walk a long while without seeing much more than sheep.

During the night, there was hardly a light outside, so I should have felt, at the very least, a little skittish. But I didn't. Strangely, in the great unknown, I felt more at ease than in my own native city.

It was summer, so the night sky wasn't completely black, always keeping a bluish hue due to the northern latitude. Yet the stars in the sky... I think that, except in the fields of Brittany, I have never seen such a clear view. That is, when it wasn't too cloudy. But I digress... I could see everything, from the smallest star to the great constellations.

And like in Brittany, vertigo took me. In such a situation, I again realised how tiny I was in the great scheme of things. Though extra-terrestrial exploration is necesary for the furthering of Science, I felt that we don't fully understand how great a spaceship Earth already is. It moves through the cosmos at a speed we cannot even fathom, carrying us in the great unknown, and we mistreat it so much...

In the great hubub of the city life, we often loose thouch with the seasons and other cycles of nature, prisoners that we are of sanitised AC offices. Perhaps every once in a while, it should be mandatory to go away from the urbe to remind us of what really matters: the earth beneath our feet, and our endless capacity to imagine better worlds.

Cheers,

Eloise :)
"First, you see the world in black and white. After a while, you begin to see the shades of gray. And if you but have the courage to try, you then get to see all the colours of the rainbow." My philosophy of life

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

Dear Eloise,

you said it so eloquently that very little can be added. I myself had a similar experience with the stars, one night on Santorini (Thera) when the lights of the island failed. My father and I sat on the beach and looked up at the sea of stars... it felt like falling.
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.

intrigued_scribe

Post by intrigued_scribe »

Dear Athena and Eloise,

Your experiences are indeed beautifully described; this couldn't have been said better. The feeling of gazing upon infinity comes though perfectly in both anecdotes.

Heather

Walden2

Post by Walden2 »

The efforts of one astronomer to save Flagstaff, Arizona
from encroaching light pollution:

http://altairvi.blogspot.com/2008/04/we ... verse.html

And check out these cities as seen from space at night -
it looks pretty until you realize how those artificial lights
have killed the real natural beauty for those urban areas:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Study/CitiesAtNight/