Influences on art of the fantastic

Illustrating Universes Known and Imagined

Moderator: Moderators

Windwalker
Site Admin

Influences on art of the fantastic

Post by Windwalker »

The remarkable artwork on this site and its style of execution made me remember that surrealist and art nouveau artists were precursors to science fiction/fantasy art, as were the pre-Raphaelites.

My own favorites are Kay Nielsen (East of the Sun, West of the Moon is an incomparable work) and Aubrey Beardsley from the art nouveau tradition, Leonora Carrington and Remedios Varo from the surrealists. I borrowed a work by the latter as a companion image to my latest blog entry. And then, of course, there is Brian Froud!
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.

intrigued_scribe

Post by intrigued_scribe »

These are great points, and they remind me as well that the artistic styles you mention here (particularly pre-Raphaelite, which is one of my favorites) preceded science fiction and fantasy art in its modern forms. That aside, I'll have to take a closer look at the works of the artists named in this post--the descriptions sound highly captivating!

-Heather

Marie

Science fiction art

Post by Marie »

As most of our circle know, I love the stories of Andre Norton and Brian Froud has the most elaborate, detailed and arresting creation of the her Witch World. Done in a map-like collage of characters, fortresses and strategic geographic locations of the "states" of her universe.
I am also a fan of the Brothers Hildebrandt. Best known works done for Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings and Marvel/DC comic covers.
I can only tell you that both art and music play a great part in my love of science fiction. :)
Marie