Contest of Wills - drawing for the title page

Illustrating Universes Known and Imagined

Moderator: Moderators

rocketscientist

Contest of Wills - drawing for the title page

Post by rocketscientist »

Athena was kind enough even though she's feeling so bad to help me post a new drawing in the art gallery.

I'm calling it Contest of Wills and it is of course inspired by the opening of Husked Grain. The media is conté crayon (a pastel pencil) and the scene depicts the warships aproaching Tenli.

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

I am very happy to see the new drawing! It is completely true to the story and at the same time an independent creation.

The galaxy/molecular cloud in the back is lovely. So is the cold glint of the sunlight against the various surfaces of the ships, and the half-glimpse of the background ship through the mesh of the foreground one. I also really like the carry-over of the jagged, angular aspect of the ships to the script of the inset. The color palette is somber, similar to that of the Misedraht drawings -- silvers and dusky blues. The overall effect is otherworldly, yet menacing.
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.

Marie

Kathryn's newest addition

Post by Marie »

By the gods, Kathryn! This is truly an outstanding depiction of the opening scene from “Husked Grain”.

When you first posted the sketches of the Shiprender, I was almost completely baffled by the position, scientific explanation and designation. However, I never lost sight of the destructive purpose of their intent. I went back to the Gallery many times and studied, enhanced and printed copies to review. I do this with all of the wonderful art presented for our pleasure by the gifted artists on this site. That is how I get my perspective for comment.

This newest addition “Contest of Wills” brings to fore the fleet’s deadly objective. I went back and poured over “Ships Open” for a comparison but found that the first is a study and this is definitely a story. I love nuanced renderings and this far surpasses my idea of depth. From the colors, reflections, and comprehensive details to core exhibits such as the planet with its orbiting moons, gigantic proportions of the “flower”(both for defense and offense as Josh previously pointed out) and the almost runic script of the framed text.

Kathryn, this is a spectacular display of imaginative talent. Kudos on another perfect visual for Athena’s fabulous vignette, but as our author points out “although true to the story a completely independent creation.”

Marie

rocketscientist

Thanks ladies, you're very kind! It was very rewarding for me to work on, although about halfway through I became very insecure about whether or not I could finish the way I wanted to. It came together in the end but took longer than I would have liked.

The next one will come faster. 8)

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

rocketscientist wrote:The next one will come faster. 8)
Excitement in the ranks!
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.

intrigued_scribe

Post by intrigued_scribe »

Kathryn, this is fantastic! :D The combination of the stark, glacial color palette and the cold otherworldliness of the vessels shown blend perfectly to give this image a genuinely transporting atmosphere. The elegance of the ships--along with the backdrop of the stars and the nearby astronomical bodies--incorporates a subtle refinement which to me makes the intent that much more deadly and forbidding. Also, the sharp script ties in beautifully and stands as the perfect touch to the illustration.

Windwalker wrote:
It is completely true to the story and at the same time an independent creation.
Absolutely! Stunning work, and I can hardly wait to see the next piece!

Heather

rocketscientist

Heather, sorry I didn't respond sonner to your comments! Thanks so much the feedback.

I'm pleased that the composition seems to work. I was pushing a bit to get it all in but I think it works. I'm reasonably happy with it.

I hoped it would convey a sence of roaring quiet - like space. :)

intrigued_scribe

Post by intrigued_scribe »

That's quite all right; no need to worry about taking time to respond. :)

rocketscientist wrote:
I hoped it would convey a sence of roaring quiet - like space.

The image definitely accomplishes this along with many other things, and then some.

Heather